Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening throughout the seasonal period, discover Stockwood like you've never seen it before, as you weave your way on a self-guided tour through the illuminated pathways, set against the backdrop of the lush greenery.
The Stockwood:Illuminated walk-through will last for 30 minutes, after which customers are invited to stay on-site to enjoy the range of additional festive activities and delicious treats on offer. There will be a host of street food stalls including an outside BBQ with genuine German Bratwurst sausages, locally produced burgers and plenty of vegetarian options.On Fridays and Saturdays, there will be musical entertainment provided by Mellowtone - a Jazz Duo consisting of guitar/vocals and sax.
Stockwood:Illuminated will run from Friday 6th - Sunday 29th December, taking place on Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays only.
Each night will have the following tour time slots available:
Fridays & Saturdays:
5.45pm, 6.15pm, 6:45pm, 7.15pm & 7:45pm
5.45pm, 6.15pm, 6:45pm & 7.15pm
- Friday, December 6, 2019
- Saturday, December 7, 2019 at 5:45pm - 8:30pm
- Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 5:45pm - 8:30pm
- Friday, December 13, 2019 at 5:45pm - 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 5:45pm - 8:30pm
- Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 5:45pm - 8:30pm
- Friday, December 20, 2019 at 5:45pm - 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 21, 2019 at 5:45pm - 8:30pm
- Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 5:45pm - 8:30pm
- Friday, December 27, 2019 at 5:45pm - 8:30pm
- Saturday, December 28, 2019 at 5:45pm - 8:30pm
- Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 5:45pm - 8:30pm
Stockwood Discovery Centre
Stockwood Discovery Centre tells the stories of real people behind the collections, exploring the history of the region from prehistoric times to the evolution of Stockwood House and the Farley estate.
The display collections include:
- Social history
- Rural crafts
- The Wenlok Jug - a rare medieval masterpiece with strong links to Luton’s history
- Luton's last tram
- The award winning display of Mossman collection of carriages - the largest collection of its kind on display in the UK.
A paradise for garden enthusiasts, Stockwood Discovery Centre is one of the few places in the country where the work of acclaimed artist Ian Hamilton Finlay can be seen on permanent display. His Improvement Garden is a classical garden in which the sculptures are an integral part of the landscape. Once part of the original Stockwood House walled areas, the Period Gardens reflect the changing styles of gardening in this country. New areas include a contemplative Sensory Garden, a colourful World Garden and a Medicinal Garden highlighting the usefulness of plants - designed with environmentally green and sustainable principles in mind.
Stockwood Discovery Centre is the perfect setting for events, meetings and celebrations. See Venue Hire for more information.
To become part of Stockwood Discovery Centre's programme, please contact our Head of Arts & Cultural Programmes, Fahim Qureshi at Fahim.Qureshi@LutonCulture.com
Other Family Friendly Events
22nd Nov - 1st Feb 2020
Nancy Newberry: Smoke Bombs and Border Crossings / Articles of Faith
Dallas-based photographic artist Nancy Newberry brings her internationally recognised brand of performative photographic portraiture to Luton in a two-part project which includes her first UK commission.
20th Jan - 30th Apr 2020
Theodor Kern: Portraits
A new display of Theodor Kern’s oil paintings.
Mon 20th Jan 2020
British Wildlife Photography Awards Exhibition
A photography exhibition celebrating the British wildlife in 2019.